Sunday, January 15, 2012

Lamb Chops with Mushroom Pesto and Root Vegetable Pancakes

PRE-STORY: Well hello there! Yes, I'm still alive and yes, I'm still cooking. There are many recipes that I need to share but this is what I made last night. It was so good, it prompted me to share the deliciousness…

DISH: Lamb

SOURCE/ADAPTED FROM: Tasting the Wine Country, Sharon O’Connor’s/Menu and Music – Recipes from Romantic Inns and Resorts. This particular dish is from Belhurst Castle in Geneva, New York

ACTIVE TIME: ~1 Hour TOTAL TIME: ~1 Hour

MUSHROOM PESTO INGREDIENTS: I halved the recipe but I’m listing the full ingredients. All other changes are highlighted in Italics.

• 4 Tablespoons Extra-Virgin Olive Oil, Plus More For Blending Pesto
• 8 ounces Porcini, stemmed Shiitake, or Cremini Mushrooms, chopped I used a mix of 50% cremini and 50% shiitake
• 3 Garlic Cloves I didn't half the garlic
• 2 Green Onions, white part only, chopped saved/sliced the greens for garnish
• ¼ Cup Pine Nuts • ¼ Cup Parmesan Cheese I didn't half the cheese

To make the pesto: In a large frying pan, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil over medium-high heat until almost smoking. Add the mushrooms and sauté for 5 minutes, or until most of the moisture has evaporated. Add the garlic, green onions, and pine nuts and sauté for 3 minutes. In a blender or food processor, combine the mushrooms, garlic mixture and Parmesan. Puree until smooth. I added more olive oil in the processor to help make it smooth. Less than ¼ cup. After the lamb was done, I rewarmed the pesto in the pan that the lamb was cooked in (with the juices) for serving.

LAMB CHOP INGREDIENTS: Truth be told, this recipe is actually for venison chops but Dude hasn’t been lucky in the bow hunting arena and Wegman’s didn’t have venison chops. Lamb seemed like a good substitute (and less expensive than veal chops)

• 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
• 8-Ounce Lamb Chops again, I halved this, so I used 4 lamb chops
• Salt and Pepper to taste Salt I used a mix of kosher salt and Gray Salt from my salt box and no pepper….cause I hate pepper

In a large frying pan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the chops, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and sauté for 3 -4 minutes on each side for medium rare.

ROOT VEGETABLE PANCAKE INGREDIENTS: I did not half this and I had enough to make 8 pancakes.

• 1 Cup All-Purpose Flour
• ½ teaspoon Salt
• ½ teaspoon Baking Powder
• ¼ teaspoon Baking Soda
• ¼ Cup Buttermilk
• ¼ Cup Milk Used Skim
• 1 Egg
• 2 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter, melted
• ¼ Cup Each grated peeled Parsnip, Carrot, Potato, and Rutabega Used Turnip instead of Rutabega
• 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil I cooked on my griddle so I used a lot less olive oil

In a medium bowl, combine all the ingredients except the olive oil. In a large frying pan, heat 1 Tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat until almost smoking (I used my griddle so I used a drop of olive oil where the pancakes would be and sprayed Pam to prevent any potential sticking). Drop in ¼ cupfuls of batter to form 3 pancakes. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 2 – 3 minutes on each side, or until well browned. Transfer to a low oven to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining oil and batter. Serve warm.

To Serve: Arrange pancakes on warmed plate and pace two chops on top. Top each chop with a dollop of mushroom pesto and serve immediately.

SERVES / NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION:
Serves 4 (Mine Served 2)

RATING/DIFFICULTY:




Difficulty: Just Tri - The average home cook can make this!

SERVED WITH:
Maiche salad with warmed pine nuts, dried cranberries, feta cheese and Balsamic Vinigerette. And a really good 2008 Zaca Mesa Syrah.

FINAL NOTES:
We were a little afraid of the pancakes, but to quote Dude, “These taste just like regular pancakes”. This would be good for a special occasion, i.e. Valentine's Day, Anniversary, etc..

1 comment:

  1. Hooray for getting back to food blogging! This recipe sounds so freaking good! I am definitely adding this to my recipe file. I love lamb chops but I don't live next door to Wegmans so I haven't been able to find good ones.

    I DO have venison filets, however. Do you want some?

    ReplyDelete